Restaurant: Daily Press Juicery
Location: 200 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V1Z2
Price Range: $$
Daily Press Juicery is a new addition to the busy Queen Street West area, which offer simple and effective cleanses that makes consumption of fruits and vegetables easy and enjoyable. Now I have never tried Cold-Pressed juices before, but essentially the juices that go through a cold-pressed juicer contains more nutritions than other style of juicing.
The inside was very clean and modern, and I believe they just opened so there aren’t much decorations going on yet. I say maybe on the wall they can add a nutrition list and the juice’s health benefits?
I admit the price is quite steep for a bottle, but to be honest they are in the same price range with other Juice Bars, i.e. Greenhouse Juice Co. anyways.
On the side there is sample bar so you can try some of their juices, but if you want to try others that are not in there, just ask the servers! I tried the followings: Earthly; Pinakeleada; Mylkilicious; Flu Shot; Maleficient.
- Earthly (Beet, Carrot, Kale, Spinach, Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber, Parsley): I didn’t like it, but then I don’t like more than half of the ingredients in this juice anyways…
- Pinakeleada (Kale, Pineapple, Apple, Lemon, Ginger): my friend liked it, but this tasted like Kimchi juice for me LOL it even smelled like it. Instead of tasting ginger or apple, I tasted vinegar…… with a very tiny hint of citrus.
- Flu Shot (Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Ginger, Cayenne Pepper): it is essentially a Vitamin C drink, which in my opinion is really good when you have a cold. The orange and grapefruit were very prominent in this juice, not so much the ginger and cayenne pepper though. There was a slight taste of cayenne pepper and almost non-existent ginger, which I don’t mind.
- Mylkilicious (Almonds, Cashews, Filtered Water, Agave Nectar, Dates, Sea Salt, Cinnamon): I love milk, but being a lactose intolerant person I can’t digest anything with lactose in it…. So knowing most of their Nut Milks are made with Cashew and Almond milk instead, I just want to buy all of it. This was really good, not too sweet, but I couldn’t taste the sea salt nor cinnamon though.
- Maleficent (Activated Charcoal, Lemon, Agave Nectar, Alkaline Water): I bought this on a whim because of the color and ingredients. I mean, the juice was black, and I was curious of how would the charcoal taste like. Upon further research, I realized I was stupid and the charcoal was for filtering the water. lol. ANYWAYS, the juice tasted like lemonade, which is so much better than the store-bought lemonade with all the flavor enhancers and additives. The juice has a balanced level of acidity and sweetness, a very refreshing drink for hot summer days.
»Summary (or the tl;dr version): I like other juices than the “Greens” juices. There was nothing wrong with the Greens drinks, it just most of the them were made with kale and I hate kale.
All the juices are freshly made in-house, the drinks should be stored in a fridge and they last up to 4 days. As I said above, I was really interested in their Nut Milks but unfortunately by the time I arrived, only the Mylkilicious was available :(. I’m coming back next time to get their Pink and Matcha Mylk for sure.
My friend got the Flu Shot while I got the others. For clarification, I understand juicing and detoxing are a big “thing” now, but I am not looking to do any of those so my knowledge regarding the subject is very limited. I believe the juices that I purchased are healthier alternatives for me to drink, other than coffee or tea, while I’m at work. So for caution, if you are planning to do a juice cleanse, please discuss with your doctor or do a throughout research beforehand as I am not a nutritionist. Overall I definitely recommend this place as most of the products were quite good, friendly services and the space was nice as well. I heard they are planning to do smoothies when weather warms up, so I will definitely come back to try that! Next time when you are around the area, instead of getting bubble tea from 168 or Starbucks nearby, why not try something healthy and support your local businesses ;).